A truly special meal is never quite over until the dessert course but quite often my overindulgence on the savoury means there isn’t that much room left for a heavy pudding. In those situations, a fruit dessert needs to be on hand to level out the sweet tooth without packing in the stodge and these spicy pears do just that.
Easy to prepare in advance, this dish also makes the perfect end to a meal for many.
Ingredients – serves 4
- 750ml apple juice
- 4 slices of fresh ginger
- 3 slices of lemon
- 1.5 tbsp honey
- 4 pears
- double cream to serve
- Peel the skin from the pears with a vegetable peeler
- Add the ginger, lemon, honey and juice to a large saucepan and heat.
- Once at a simmer, add the pears and reduce to a low simmer for 20 minutes.
- When the pears are soft through (use a sharp knife to test), remove them from the pan and place in a bowl.
- Turn up the heat to paid boil and reduce the liquid down by at least a half, this should take about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add the pears back into the liquid and serve (or put to one side to cool and reheat to serve).
- Serve in a bowl with a few spoonfuls of liquid and cream.